Braised tofu and edamame crunch salad
Calling all busy moms, people in a lunch rut, and anyone in need of a tasty, quick and healthy lunch fix ASAP! There’s a delicious new salad kit on the market. I didn’t know it, but it’s the one thing that has been missing from my life. No, seriously.
While I would love to have salad for lunch every day of the week, I don’t. Not because a tasty salad is necessarily difficult to make, but because it takes time to make. And (even worse) it takes time to clean up. Most days I work from home or coffee shops and, unless I’m shooting a recipe, I have limited time to make myself lunch. I’m trying to squeeze everything I can into limited hours while I have childcare for my two babies.
Then, one day last week, Taylor Farms came into my life. It’s as if they had heard my plight.
For this post, I’ve partnered with Taylor Farms to bring you this new delicious Edamame Asian Crunch Salad, as part of their new line of Crafted Kits. Somehow, they’ve managed to make a kit that has crunchy bites of cashews and grilled edamame (that also stay crunchy) tossed with a delicious sesame-honey dressing. Add a little pre-marinated tofu and you’ve got yourself a salad fit for busy lifestyles anytime, anywhere, that’s worthy of praise.
The best part for me is that because of the toppings, I can get my toddler to eat a salad. Or, at least, eat around the salad. She and I sat down for lunch the other day and she picked off the nuts and edamame. She even tried a bite of the lettuce after dipping it in the delicious dressing. It was a win for all mother kind.
This tofu needs to be made ahead. Not only because it will taste better once all marinated, but it will give you the freedom to simply slice and go for your busy lunch hour if made the night before.
MAKES 3 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 10 minutes + Overnight Marinade COOK TIME: 10 minutes TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
¼ cup dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
1 16-ounce package firm tofu
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 package Taylor Farms Edamame Crunch Salad
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, 5 spice, sesame oil and salt. Set aside.
- Drain and remove the tofu from package.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Once hot, add the tofu. Sear tofu on each side for roughly 3 to 4 minutes, until light brown on all sides. Remove and place on a paper-towel lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Place the tofu on a baking dish or any other container with a large surface area and high sides. Pour over the marinade, cover, and refrigerate for roughly 6 to 8 hours, or overnight, turning a couple of times so that each piece gets marinated properly.
- Slice and serve over a Taylor Farms’ salad kit. Drizzle with dressing.